Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thankful Today #11

#11- I am thankful for men and women who have served and currently serve in the military

On Veteran's Day it is easy to be reminded of the thousands of soldiers, both veterans and in active duty, who should receive gratitude daily. Today I thought of a few things that I get to enjoy due to someone, at one point in history, fighting to gain and someone still fights to protect:
  • Last night I went to the church of my choosing, out in public, with freedom to worship
  • A few weeks ago I was able to vote for government leaders of my choosing, without fear of being attacked and knowing the election results would executed with honesty and justice
  • I can write a blog or speak in public of my beliefs without being censored or arrested
  • My family can walk outside without fear of violence from unrest in my town or an uprising of war

These are things that are so easily taken for granted but I have to remember that there was a point in the United States history when none of these were something that an American could enjoy. There are people in countries across the world who still don't get to experience these freedoms. A soldier in the United States military was charged with the task of allowing his countrymen those freedoms. A soldier in the United States military is charged with the task of making sure his countrymen can keep those freedoms.

I am thankful for the veterans who have been a part of granting these freedoms for us by sacrificing their own life, comforts and well being. I am also thankful for the families who send their soldiers off to protect the nation, despite the hardship it causes for their lives.

No comments: