Saturday, June 27, 2009

What are you left with?

This isn't the first post I thought I would write after a long hiatus! But, it is on my mind and if I am ever going to start blogging regularly I need to just write when I think of it.

It has been a rough week for pop culture with the death of Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson.

Surprisingly of all of them I think I was an Ed McMahon fan, even though he was the oldest. Apparently I was a big fan of "Heeeeere's Johnny" when I was young. I only know Farrah Fawcett for her celebrity status, not any of her work, and I can't say I was ever a Michael Jackson fan. I really like The Jackson 5 (though I do kind of feel like I am witnessing child labor abuse taking place) but the rest of his music isn't my style. Mainly though, I am of the wrong generation to remember Michael as anything but Wacko Jacko. I was in 6th grade when he was first arrested for molestation and it has just been downhill from there. But this is all beside the point of the blog...

These were all huge pop icons and had much of what I think the world deems as successful- Ed McMahon was on one of the most popular shows of all time and through that met anybody who was anybody, had plenty of wealth (though not in the last few years), had a long career. Farrah Fawcett was known for beauty. And Michael Jackson was, for a large part of his career, the biggest celebrity in the world.

But they all died. Interestingly enough, in very common ways: illnesses related to old age, cancer and heart disease. And now what? Well, now none of that celebrity, wealth, beauty or power matters. I do not know the beliefs of any of these three for sure so the following passage is not a condemnation or affirmation for any of them. Rather it is a reminder for readers that we all face mortality. We will all face God at the ends and all of the prizes achieved during our lives will not matter at all. All that matters is whether or not we knew Him as Lord.

From Revelation 3:14-22
"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation.
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

No comments: