Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Beauty of Simplicity

In the last few days, I have noticed that I have been struck by things of simplicity. Maybe it is because the last few weeks have reminded me of priorities in life and what success is defined by.

I started a book series called the Mitford series. It has been out for a while but I am just now reading the first. My reward for passing my licensure exam was reading a fun, fiction book (I felt guilty reading any other time because I knew I should study instead). I love to read and still get absorbed into a story, even as I did as a child. I chose to begin this series because it is one that was loved by my grandmother, Meme. I am reading her book and I smiled the other day as I turned a page and saw a small coffee stain. She and I shared a love for reading and I just felt like staying in a part of her world for the time. Back to the theme of the blog...

This book (and the series I assume) is about the comings and goings of a lovely, little town where people know and care for one another and you can walk wherever you need to go. I have found myself thinking, "I'd like to live there" and then wonder if I realistically could live in such a slower pace of life.

The second wonderment with simplicity came this morning when I heard my baby's heart beat for the first time. It was such a simple sound but so beautiful to hear the little life, letting me know that he or she is healthy and growing. It was amazing to know that the little thumps I was listening to belonged to my child.

When I first think of simplicity, I think of slow and easy and not too busy. But I think what makes simplicity appealing is actually that there is something meaningful put into it. In the Mitford series, what is desirable about the life of the townspeople is the purpose they carry with them through their day, particularly relationships with others. What was special about the simple sound of a heartbeat is that it is from my baby and it is the first communication she or he has made to me. That is a new priority, to make what I do meaningful and appreciate the simple things that matter.

There is a song I am reminded of that was popular for a few years titled "The Beauty of Simplicity." Some of the lyrics are:
It's the beauty of simplicity
that brings me down to my knees
I'll praise You for eternity
and lord I love You
Because You
You first loved me
And all God's people say:
We, we love You, we love You Lord, we love You
And we, we love You, we love you Lord, we love You
We love You


Again, it is what is meaningful in those words and it is the simplicity of faith. It is not to be hard or busy, but it doesn't mean it won't...rather, it is the powerful, yet simple message that we love Him because He first loved us.

No comments: