Thursday, February 15, 2007

My Thoughts on Valentine's Day

I hate Valentine's Day. I told my friend that and she laughed and asked how that could be since I am married. I don't know why, but I never seem to like Valentine's Day.

Maybe it would be different if school hadn't interfered with the celebration of the holiday for the umpteenth year. I didn't always hate the holiday and I still like all of the decorations and hearts and cards. I still like to go out, even if it has to wait until after a test is over. So maybe one day I will appreciate it again.

I think a big reason that I don't like Valentine's Day is because I don't need it. That same friend I mentioned above said that she used to resent the holiday (she is single) when all of her coworkers got flowers until she realized that the husbands who sent those flowers were jerks the rest of the year. You see, I have a husband who is kind and thoughtful every day of the year so I do not need his obedience to one designation on the calender for me to believe that he loves me.

I have had many reminders lately that I am very blessed to be married to my husband. He is absolutely my best friend and can brighten my day. His character has withstood a lot and it has made him a wonderful husband. I love how he makes me laugh and makes me stop and enjoy life. I love how he tells me that I am more than capable of PhD work and when he tells me how proud he is of me with my counseling and school work. I love it when he listens to me ramble on about the latest thing I have learned or have thought about, and how he asks me for and values my opinion. I love how he makes me stop and hug him when I think I am too busy. I love how patient he is with me. I love how he makes the kitchen too crowded because he wants to help cook. I love to hear him sing, see him smile, watch him in ministry and see him act in a way that only I get to share. Most of all I love that he is seeking after God fervantly and his life and character reflect that. I know without a doubt that he loves me and values me.

So there is my valentine...on February 15. I can feel like I am rebelling against the holiday but I guess I am a sucker after all. Maybe the holiday isn't so bad because I can think of it as a day that celebrates a year's worth of love shown. I might even wear red next year.

No comments: