Thursday, December 28, 2006

Getting "Rest"

I am amazed at the change that can be made to my attitude in a very short amount of time. Granted, significant life changes happened in that short time but still...

It was two weeks ago that I was finishing my most time consuming and brain aching semester. Then came the busy preparation for Christmas, dinner guests, work, completing an internship and then traveling for Christmas. I never really felt as though I slowed (or could slow) down since last June. But, here it is December 28 and I feel that I do not have a care in the world and life is going at a leisurely pace. How quickly things change! I am amazed at how I can so quickly from being in what I call "go mode" to well, not. We had a wonderful and (once we stayed in one town for 24 hours) relaxing Christmas with good time with family. And now back home we have nothing to do in the evenings, which is a strange phenomenon. This is not normal life but I am thoroughly enjoying it! I am viewing it as a rest after a long semester and rejuvenation in preparation for my hardest semester to come. I have a sense of peace and joy that is reflected in my attitude, outlook and how I spend my time. I am probably a much nicer person right now and am enjoying getting things done rather than feeling burdened.

Yes my circumstances are different right now but should my circumstances determine my attitude? One of my favorite verses is Matthew 11:28-30: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." According to the verse, it is not the circumstances that should bring me rest, rather it is the Lord. This means that I should have the same sense of peace now, as I have time to do what needs to be done and relax, as I will next semester when I am taking 15 hours and trying to graduate. That is not how it normally is for me! But, that is the promise of God who is faithful in all things. Regardless what may come into life, from something as simple as a hard class to something catastrophic, He promises in His Word a rest in Him. Circumstances will change but the Lord is faithful and though life may not be easy from the world's perspective, He can allow for a peace that is unexplainable.

So next semester when you talk to me and I am complaining about the busyness of life...ask me why I am not rested.

No comments: